Saturday, April 14, 2012

Siren's Song

Greek Mythology. One of a group of sea nymphs who by their sweet singing lured mariners to destruction on the rocks surrounding their island
The long overdue weekend found me with about ten jillion things that a responsible adult would elect to do. The house for sale needed another room painted, maybe trying to figure a strategy on how my taxes were going to get filed, packing for our summer move, hell it was even the start of Arkansas turkey season! But no, I had to call the power station on the Little Red River and check the generation schedule  .For the first time since March 27th, water was going to be wadable. I panicked!  Was my boat ready to go? No. What the hell, I would rent one for the day at the dock. Most of my fishing equipment was in Colorado waiting on that pre run-off trip I never got to make. So the reasonable thing to do was to punt and live to fight another day. But that damn Siren song had me and was pulling with a purpose. I stepped back and tried to reason my way out of it.  After all, I was headed to Arkansas's tornado alley with the weather channel showing some kind of cryptic message about certain destruction this weekend. Also with all the freakin frackin going on there, an earthquake was also part of the roulette wheel. If I can borrow a phrase from the late Johnny Cochran  "sidebar please your honor".  If global warming is causing more and bigger tornadoes and the natural gas fracking is causing earthquakes by the dozens, are these natural or man-made disasters now? Anyway, it kinda hurt my head thinking about all that.
   So when I got the boat headed downstream I really didn't give a rat's ass about much except catching a trawler full of fish. Damn it was good! The fish hadn't been harrased for several weeks and I had the catch and release area to myself for three great and wonderful hours. Great blue herons looked at me with shock and awe before the day was over! Okay, maybe not, but it was great fun.  Most of the fish were caught on a local fly that we tie called a red ass. What is really cool is Susan and I tied these flys from Grey Partridge feathers we got on our Montana bird hunt. The water was a bit stained and still pretty high, but you don't get many days like this. Most of the fish were rainbows but an ocasional brown was scattered in.  Size was all over the board except really big. I'm sure I'll hear that Siren song again real soon.
    The next few weeks also have some great music in Little Rock. Robert Earl Keen just left and the Band of Heathens plays at Sticky's Rock n Roll Chicken Shack this week. In May, Ray Wylie Hubbard will be at the Rev Room. We will have room at our table for both shows, come enjoy great music with us!
Robert Earl Keen

No comments:

Post a Comment